Friday, April 18, 2008

Grand Palace, and Wat Phra Kaew, Bangkok

Grand Palace? Ok. When?

Tomorrow


What time?

9:30 a.m.

Fine with me.

On Wednesday I went to the Grand Palace, and Wat Phra Kaew with 2 or my lovely friends. As soon as we went out of the Taxi a man came to see if we need any help. Ohh… he’s being so kind to tell what we shouldn’t be doing inside and what is not allowed. He pointed to my friend’s sleeveless shirt (not really) and told her that she needs to cover it. That was really nice of him… until when he uttered his next words… “oh the place is close! You can come and visit it later.” As soon as he uttered that magic words, my pigeon sized brain immediately fired-up. I remember reading somewhere about this scheme. Our friendly but crooked friend was trying to use the same method he may have used thousands of time to unsuspecting visitors. My two lovely friends somehow kinda’ started to fall into this crooked but friendly man trap. When one of my friends spoke to him in Thai, he was surprised and kinda’ backed-up a bit but he didn’t give up… I forced myself into the conversation and told my friend that this nice guy is trying to trick us.

* Those who wish to visit Wat Phra Kaew/Grand Palace, do not listen to those nice guys/ladies outside the gate. Just ignore them and walk in. You can get the ticket from the counter inside (Baht 250 for foreigner).

* No short pants and/or sleeveless shirt.


I was able to go in as Thai (free). Perhaps it’s because I’ve been staying in this country for years and I’ve actually considered Bangkok as my home.






No comments: